Depending on the type of your job interview, you may be required to carry a portfolio of your work samples so as to prove your competency and skills in the area of your work. Portfolios are important, especially, when you’re applying for the job roles that demand a lot of creative skills.
A portfolio is important so as to be able to understand if your career goals align with the company goals or not. It is crucial that the portfolio you present to your interviewer is professionally developed and skillfully compiled. This can happen only if you know how to pull together the most relevant documents in a really impressive manner so that your talent and skills get highlighted properly.
You may follow the steps given below in order to efficiently organize your portfolio:
1. Portfolio Presentation
A large number of employers, these days, expect you to present a digital portfolio. In case your work demands physical presentation of the portfolio, it must be done in a highly professional manner. A battered or torn portfolio can ruin your chances of getting a job as it is going to leave a negative impression on your potential employer about your professional ethics.
The points given below must be taken into consideration while buying your portfolio folder:
- Go for a solid ring binder.
- The folder must be easy to open and of appropriate size neither too small nor too big.
- A high-quality paper must be used along with proper sheet protectors.
- Label your work properly and it’s always a good practice to divide your work into different sections.
In case your job demands a lot of online work like content writers, graphic designers and web designers, you’re likely to be asked to submit electronic portfolios.
The things to be taken care of in case you’re asked to submit electronic portfolio are as given below:
- Your portfolio must be user-friendly.
- Use your creativity in showcasing the best of your work and experience.
- It should be impressive so as to offer a pleasant experience to the employer.
Read Also: 7 Free Apps to Create an Impressive CV
2. Portfolio Contents
The most important task is indeed deciding the content to be included in your portfolio. It requires a lot of experience, creativity and professional expertise to make sure that just the right amount of content gets included in the portfolio.
- Even though there is no maximum limit on the number of samples that can be included, it is recommended not to include any more than 15 pages so as not to make it overwhelming.
- Always consider including your more recent work and curating older work.
- Everything that gets included in the portfolio should have a purpose for its inclusion. The idea should be to showcase the diverse talent and skills you possess by including a variety of work.
- The same structure should be adopted throughout so as to make it easily readable.
Some Useful Tips to Organize Your Portfolio
In order to organize your portfolio and create an interesting and attention-grabbing resume, you may consider the points given below:
- The most recent work should always come first. In case you wish to include your strongest work first, try seeking the feedback of others as it could be that you may be biased in making selections and that can potentially harm your career.
- Always work towards creating clear sections so that the interviews enjoys looking at your portfolio and is able to focus on smaller sections as well.
- Showcase those samples that reflect your voice, ideas and style of work. That is, thrive on demonstrating what makes you unique in your field of work?
- Make several revisions so as not to leave even a minor mistake in your portfolio. Even a small spelling mistake has a potential to distract the person who is viewing the portfolio and force him/ her to focus on less important things.
- Asking for feedback from contacts in your profession, family and friends is always a good idea.
- Prepare minimum two copies of your physical portfolio as an interview might want to keep one. In case it cost you a lot of money, the second copy can be kept simpler yet attractive.
Image source: sep.yimg.com