In order to be able to pursue full-time studies in Singapore, you need to apply for a student’s pass. This has to be done after receiving an acceptance letter from a valid institution in Singapore.
You’re exempted from applying for a Student’s Pass only if you’re:
- Dependant’s pass holder;
- Immigration Exemption Order holder; or
- Attending a short course and have been granted a short-term Visit Pass.
Where to apply?
This application can be made online by using the Student’s Pass Online Application & Registration+ (SOLAR+) system to the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA).
The validity of a Student’s Pass generally extends up to the duration of course that you’re going to pursue at a study destination.
Time Frame for Visa Application
It is recommended that you apply for your visa at least 2 months before and not more than 6 months before the commencement date of your course/ program.
The processing of a new visa application generally doesn’t take more than 4 weeks but you must make it timely so as to avoid last moment’s panic.
Read Also: Choosing Your Study Abroad Destination
Processing Fee: $30 Non-refundable fee
Issuance Fee: $60 and an additional $30 fee for multiple-entry
Issue fee is charged only when a Student’s pass is issued to the applicant.
- Valid Passport: Your passport must have a validity of minimum 3 months beyond your time of stay in your student destination
- An offer letter from educational institution/ university in Singapore
- Fully completed student visa application forms: ICA form 16 and Form V36
- A Security Deposit of S$ 5000 (if required). The requirements are indicated in the IPA letter that is issued to an applicant
- Additional documents supporting educational background and financial status of the applicant. The documents showcasing the necessary arrangement of educational, living, and travel expenses may be asked at the time of interview.
How to Apply
Note: Both the requirements as well as the procedure for the application of a Student’s Pass differ depending on the type of educational institution you’ll be studying at.
- Before the application for Student’s Pass can be submitted by an applicant through SOLAR, the college/ university needs to register him/ her and generate the SOLAR application reference number.
- After the applicant has been successfully registered by destination college/ university, he/ she needs to log in and fill his/ her details. Thereafter, he/ she needs to submit eForm 16 and take a print out of the same.
Useful Resources for Applying Student’s Pass
Singapore Consulate, Mumbai
Consulate 101, 10th Floor, Maker Chambers IV, 222, Jamnalal Bajaj Road,
Telephone: +91-22-2204-3205/ +91-22-2204-3209
The students in this country are allowed to work for maximum 16 hours a week and full-time during holidays.
After the completion of course/ program, the students may file an application for 1-year Visit Pass in case they want to seek employment in Singapore. The application has to be made to ICA and can easily be done online.
Image source: 2.bp.blogspot.com