Career Study Abroad

How to Get Work Permit in Australia as an International Student?

How to Get Work Permit in Australia

Are you looking at studying in Australia?

But is it that you’re not sure about work options after studying in Australia?

You don’t even know if it is possible to get a work permit in Australia as an International Student.

The latest announcement by Australian PM has raised an alarm and various doubts with student fraternity in international countries.

However, there is absolutely nothing to worry!

Because the Australian laws are flexible enough to allow you to work both when you’re a student and also after you complete your course/ degree.

As a Student

As a student, you’re allowed to work for up to 20 hours per week when college/ university are on and full time during holidays.

After Graduation

It is important to find out everything in detail related to work permission, bank account and other information related to earning your first paycheck. Also, gather information on where to look for a job and how much salary to expect.

Where to Look for a Job?

There are a number of sources that can be used to find work. They include:

  • Online Job Portals
  • Newspapers
  • Through recruitment agencies/ firms
  • Your college/ university’s international student wing

Work Permit

The Australian student visa doesn’t give you any automatic right to either stay or work in Australia after your degree gets completed.

It is understood that you will leave the country after your course gets completed and before your visa expires. In order to stay back in the country, you need to apply for one of the several visa categories that are available for international students.

Read Also: Upcoming Study Abroad Fair in North India

In order to be able to work in Australia after the completion of your degree, you need a special category of work visa. To obtain permanent residency (PR) in this country, you need to meet the criteria of a points system that is followed there.

Following is the listing of different visas available in the country:

  1. 485 Skilled Graduate Temporary Visa: It is one of the most popular options amongst international students. It allows you to stay in the country for a period of 18 months to gain work experience. However, in order to be eligible for this visa, you must have completed a minimum of 2 years of study in Australia.
  2. 402 Training and Research Visa: This visa permits international students to hone their work skills for a period of 2 years under the sponsorship of an employer.
  3. 487 Regional Sponsored Visa: You can avail this category of visa to work for up to 3 years in a specialized regional sector. Even more, this visa acts as your pathway to permanent residency in Australia.
  4. 885 Skilled Independent Residence Visa: By virtue of this visa, you can stay in Australia as a permanent resident and even work there without any sponsorship.
  5. 887 Skilled Regional Residence Visa: This category of visa not only grants you PR but also allows you to live and work in the country permanently. In order to be eligible for this, you must have stayed in Australia for 2 years, possess 1 year of work experience and sufficient points.
  6. 886 Skilled Sponsor Resident Visa: This visa allows you to apply for PR and also work while you are sponsored by your employer.

Points System

Australian government uses a point system to determine if you meet the criteria for obtaining a specified visa or not. There is a systematic evaluation of points along with your application to check your eligibility criteria.

Following is the listing of points that are most significant is ensuring the success of your visa:

  • English language proficiency
  • Age group: 19-44 years
  • Work Experience
  • In-demand occupation
  • Sponsorship
  • Length of course/ degree pursued in Australia

If you have any doubts, you must consider approaching university counselor/ international student office to discuss your case with them.

Not sure whether you meet the visa criteria or not?

You may even use the point calculator to check your eligibility.

Image source: