The objective of writing a personal statement (or statement of purpose) is to let the admission officers learn about your academic and professional achievements, understand your goals, aspirations, skills, and experience.
Your personal statement is one of the most crucial factors determining the success of your application. Given that there is a lot of significance attached to the way a personal statement is written, a majority of students dread the task of writing the same when making university applications. The process can, however, be made easier by following certain dos and don’ts.
In order to help you in the process of writing a great personal statement, our ‘ radiometric dating means blog oportunidad para solteros site de rencontre ado 53 rencontre intime outaouais mujeres solteras en sevilla ubifrance rencontres internationales du numérique les sites de rencontre mixte gratuit conocer gente del camino neocatecumenal http://hivtestkit.ph/?melisa=rencontre-autour-de-moi-iphone&358=ae rencontre 69490 Career Coach’ at ‘My Study Destination’ has prepared a step-by-step guide for you to follow:
Writing a Personal Statement can be an overwhelming task, especially, when you feel there is not much content to be written. By making early preparations, you can easily work on building your profile. You can gain experience and build relevant skills. Even more, you work towards curating perfect content for your personal statement.
- Involve yourself actively in different activities while you’re still in school. Participate in activities and events that can help you add value to your profile. It’s just about making your application strong. You can do that by hosting events, by becoming a magazine editor, or by becoming a part of student council. There are several other ways to make significant contributions to your institution.
- Take up volunteering roles in the areas of your interest. Volunteering is important not only for your university application but also for your career goals in the employment sector.
- Pick up new activities that can widen your pool of talent. The basic idea is to expand your skill set and gain a vast amount of knowledge in variegated fields.
Structure of the Personal Statement
You must adhere to the structure and format of the personal statement so as to make it look attractive. The important structural components of the personal statement are as given below:
There is no substitute to strong opening statements. Use a captivating language and begin narrating your story in an interesting manner. Remember, your primary goal is to hook the reader till the end.
In this section, you need to include all the components of a personal statement like your educational background, experience, skills, achievement, career goals and more.
Finish your statement by summing up what makes you a suitable candidate for the given course. Try to write such an ending that stays in the mind of a reader for a long time after he finishes reading your document.
It is important to create an outline of everything that needs to be included in your personal statement. You can refer to this list while drafting the body of your personal statement so as to create a clear and effective document. An outline always helps you organize your thoughts in a proper manner.
The important things to be included in your personal statement are as follows:
- Reason for your application
- What makes you suitable for the course and the institution?
- Skills, experience and achievements
- Hobbies and Social Activities
- Industry experience
- Career Goals
- Justifying your Gap years (if any)
- After you’re done writing the statement, you need to make multiple revisions of it so as to make it crisp and interesting. Also, you must ask for the feedback of your tutors, family members and friends as they can help you remove errors and improve its quality.
- You must try to demonstrate your uniqueness in a very subtle manner.
- You must never plagiarize the content as it can put an end to all your aspirations and dreams. To know more, read “How Can Plagiarism Negatively Affect Your Personal Essay or SOP?“
- Just be yourself, avoid clichés and there is absolutely no need to make use of any templates.
- Refrain from exaggerating the good things about yourself or your accomplishments. You need to be honest about every small thing you write. The admission officers value honesty above everything else.
Would you like to share your personal statements (in case you’ve written any) with us? We would like to publish the best ones.
Image source: personalstatementwriter.com