Canada My Study Destination Study Abroad USA

Study Destination Comparison: USA v/s Canada

How to make a study choice between US and Canada?

Which is a better study destination?

Which offers better ROI?

Are you seeking answers to these questions?

If yes, you just made a right choice of landing on this page.

A study destination choice between the US and Canada has to be based on a number of factors. They include:

Choice of Your Study Course

The foremost thing is to know that a choice of your study destination has to be based on your area of interest. You need to find out if the universities in the destination country specialize in offering courses of your interest.

A list of popular courses offered in the US universities is as given below:

  • Computer Science
  • Engineering
  • Master of Business Administration (MBA)
  • Information Technology (IT) courses
  • Biotechnology
  • Hospitality

The Canadian universities have a specialization in offering courses that are listed below:

  • Business Management
  • Computer Science
  • Engineering
  • Hospitality
  • Media


For studying in the US:

Language Proficiency Test Score like TOEFL, IELTS. This score is must when applying for a visa.

Undergraduate (UG) Courses:

  • 12 years of schooling
  • SAT scores

Postgraduate (PG) Courses:

  •  16 years of education
  • GMAT (For management courses)
  • GRE (For science courses)

Notably, you will have to take a one-year course if you’ve done a three-year course at an undergraduate level in your home country. However, there are exceptions to this requirement that you need to check with the university admission cell.

For MBA, a certain amount of work experience is usually desired that varies from one university to another.

For Studying in Canada:

The admission pre-requisites for studying at Canadian universities are same as US universities.

Note: The average score accepted by the colleges/ universities can be found on their respective websites.

Read Also: Guide on Study Abroad/ Student Visa

Costs Involved/ Expenses

The expenses involved in studying abroad in the US or Canada are more or less similar.

The tuition fee and living expenses are slightly lower in Canada as compared to the U.S. universities.

For Undergraduate Courses

The tuition fee falls in the range of $10,000-$35,000 per year and the living expenses may vary from $10,000-$15,000 per year in the US.

Canadian universities: The tuition fee is approx $10,000 – $30,000 per year, while the living expenses come out to be in the range of $10,000–$12,000 per year.

For Postgraduate Courses

The tuition fee is $15,000-$60,000 per year, while the living expenses are $10,000-$15,000 per year in the US.

In Canada, the tuition fee is $15,000 – $35,000 per year and the living expenses are around $10,000–$15,000 per year.



A full-time student visa in the US is called F1 visa.


  • Personal Interview
  • Biometrics
  • Visa Fee: $160

You’re allowed to work on campus for no more than 20 hours a week while you’re studying. During the holidays, you may, however, work for up to 40 hours a week.


A full-time student visa in Canada is called a study permit. There is no need for a study permit if you’re going to take a course that is of duration less than 6 months.


  • Medical test
  • Visa Fee: $150

You may work for up to 20 hours a week and up to 40 hours a week during holidays.

Permanent residency


The process of permanent residency is very slow and a complicated one. A person has to stay in the US for a minimum of 5 years on employment grounds before he is granted a Green card.


Getting a permanent residency in Canada is easy when compared to other countries. An individual is allowed to apply for PR during his period of work permit under the Canadian Experience Class.

Read Also: Guide on Studying in Ireland

Post-study work permit


It offers temporary employment permission through OPT to let the student gain practical knowledge in his subject of study. Nevertheless, the employment begins only when a document authorizing employment is procured.

On getting a full-time job, the students need to apply for a work visa.


The Work Visa of this country allows the students to work in any sector for a maximum of 3 years.

Image source: